Click the picture for the story of Calypso, the Three Legged Green Sea Turtle, and why she's my symbol

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Story of Hope: Pat Rummerfield


Pat Rummerfield's story is one of the more well known. I actually got a chance to meet him in my time at Kennedy Krieger.

http://rummerfield.homestead.com/

He was injured in an alcohol related car accident in 1974. With 4 crushed cervical vertebrae, he was given very little encouragement (on the contrary, he was more told to get comfortable and pass away). He is one of the only quadriplegics who is now has complete function. An amazing person to meet, he was very interested in my story and where I had come from. He took a lot of time relating to the physical therapy I was going through.

I'm not saying that I will be walking like he does, but it is simply amazing to remember what amazing things you can accomplish with sheer force of will.

2 comments:

  1. Put aside all of the facts that Patrick Rummerfield is the biggest comeback story in sports history, Patrick is without a doubt one of the most genuine human beings God has ever put on this planet.
    I’ve had the opportunity to really get to know Patrick over the years as I regain function at what I would consider the only place to go if you have paralysis that being the International Center for Spinal Cord Injury at the Kennedy Krieger Institute over in Baltimore.
    Patrick unselfish behavior and willingness to help others has become a legendary in the SCI community. I know he went the extra mile to assist me during my darkest hour.
    I think Patrick embodies the turtle mentality –Patrick did not get to where he is over night, it has taken him 35 years to achieve some of his accomplishments. If you get a chance google him.
    The ICSCI is state of the art when it comes to SCI rehab and it ROCKS!!!
    Kim S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, I wholeheartedly agree with everything: that Patric did not get where he is quickly (very slowly actually, turtle speed), that he is an amazing person, and that KKI spinal program ROCKS!!!

    I know that my recovery, his, or anyone's will be quickly. I posted this to show people that a spinal chord injury is not the end, but the beginning. I myself know I have a very long road ahead and he was a comfort when I was having a dark hour myself.

    Not only was he sociable but he bought me and my family dinner when I was stuck inside when everyone else on the floor was on a trip. He listened to every question that me or my family could think of, asking quite a few himself. I'm realizing that I didn't do him justice in the original post (besides forgetting to include his website).

    And on the last point, KKI is one of the best places I have ever seen. I'd had the unfortunate experience of being in several facilities and have realized that they are truly one of a kind. Every place I've been to before them wanted to get me functional and out the door. KKI worked with me to not only functional but mobile, excited, driven, all the time maximizing the function in my legs. Besides that they actually do activities, programs, etc. to make sure you don't go totally bonkers. I owe where I am almost completely to them.

    ReplyDelete